Monday, September 19, 2005

The Dragon

Went to Deal's Gap this weekend for some much needed biking R & R. I haven't done any noteworthy riding since Spring Ride (April?), and man does it ever show. My best time (riding at a quick, but not hurried pace) this weekend was about 1.5 minutes (yes minutes) slower than my times when I went there this past spring (which was not Spring Ride - that's in Little Switzerland, NC).

Gotta love those twisties!


Way too many Harleys doing 20 and still running off the road, acting like the general asses they are known to be - and people wonder why I don't want to ride mine. I don't want to be associated with these brain dead fucks.

Example: *Purposely* (as in swerving to keep people from passing, and other obnoxious behavior) backing up traffic for 3 miles (over an 11 mile long road!), getting behind a truck for the last .5-.75 mile, pulling over, and spending the next 30 minutes bitching about what an asshole the truck driver is... I saw this behavior all weekend. Asswipes.

Check out this one.. yes, that IS the wrong side of the road that he almost ran off of trying to keep up with the guy in the lead(it's about a 1000-1500 foot drop 10-20 feet to the right of the white line).




You must treat the dragon like your best friend... your best mafia friend. You can count on it, you'll have stories to tell that you would never dream of if you didn't become friends, but if you don't respect it, if you fuck with it, it will kill you.

Note to self: Never go to the dragon again when there is a Harley rally within 150 miles.

I did get in about 8 passes up and down (16 total). They were mostly slow, but great for clearing out the cobwebs. It's getting late in the year, leaves are falling (wet leaves are slippery), and then the ice is going to start showing up, so this year is out, but next year, I have GOT to start getting out there once a month or so to keep my skills up.

I wish I would have got back into camping years ago.. correction: I wish I never stopped. This weekend, minus truck fuel (don't even get me started on that!) and groceries (which I would have bought anyway) cost me a total of $32. $15 for camping, $7 for lunch, $8 for fuel for the bike, $2 for various beverages.

At what point did I become the person that couldn't go anywhere unless there was a hotel, nice restaurant, etc? I dunno, but I can tell you, he's gone.

Camping is fun, relaxing, cheap, the scenery is usually spectacular (last trip I stayed on the Oregon Coast Highway, this trip I was at the base of the Fontana Dam - 500 feet tall, beautiful river, great fishing), and... lest I/we forget - I/We went someplace to be someplace else, to see something else, and to get away from it all.


Camping does a much better job of this than staying in a room/building (that if you are lucky and have paid enough has half the ammenities of home).

Here's a view of the dam. to give you some perspective as to size - see that little loop in the lower right-hand corner? That's the entire campground. The center part of the loop will hold 10 full sized (30-40 foot) 5th wheel trailers, and has picnic tables, shelters, etc. The outside of the loop is all tent sites and there's a bathouse there.. That dam is friggin huge. It's not my first time seeing it, but now I know why I wasn't too impressed with the Hoover dam.



I have GOT to get some sort of trailer. I've been tent camping, and I really like it. much more of a, well, "campy" feeling. There are limits though.. heat, cold, they take their toll. While I'm drooling over a large 5th wheel or even a travel trailer (possibly a better choice, given dog hauling needs), a part of me is thinking that a pop-up/tent camper might be more in line with the basics of what I'm looking for - some sort of temperature control and the ability to use the bathroom without getting fully dressed and and walking across a campground.

Who knows, maybe it's worth actually renting all of them out to find out what I really like... it's certainly not worth renting them out just for the sake of having them for a week (something like $350-$450 a week for a 15-20 year old pop-up worth about $2000.. you don't even want to know what the Class A motorhomes rent for!).

Anyway,...suffice it to say, I'll be gone a lot more often and having a lot more fun, no matter what I happen to be sleeping in. Feel free to join me.

No comments: